* emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 21:49 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.

On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?

A soare.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 22:28 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-18 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare wrote:
> Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
>
> On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?

There was a small competition/evaluation of different icons about 1.5
years ago. The discussion was here on devel and the icons you can find
here (Andrew Zhilin's icons where choosen):

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:10 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-04-18 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare wrote:
> Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
>
> On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?

It has been changed on X, but if your window manager is not capable of
displaying nice icons, it will not look nice. I just tried with tmm, and
it does a terrible conversion to monochrome.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:12 ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-04-18 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare wrote:
> Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
>
> On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?

BTW, could you send a screenshot  of Emacs icon on Mac?

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:34 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> Message du 19/04/07 à 01h09
> De : "Vinicius Jose Latorre" <viniciusjl@ig.com.br>
> A : alinsoar@voila.fr
> Copie à : "Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Objet : Re: emacs' icon on X ?
>
> A Soare wrote:
> > Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
> >
> > On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?
> >

> BTW, could you send a screenshot  of Emacs icon on Mac?

Here is a beautiful one that I do not know whether it it used on mac or not:

http://www2.ing.unipi.it/~d9615/homepage/mac/myemacsicon.png

And here that one used on mac:

http://www.apfelwiki.de/Main/Emacs?action=imgpopup&image=EmacsCarbonIcon.png

And here one that I did not know about:

http://fhornoy.linux62.org/Nuvola_apps_emacs.png

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:37 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> Message du 19/04/07 à 01h11
> De : "Jason Rumney" <jasonr@gnu.org>
> A : alinsoar@voila.fr
> Copie à : "Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Objet : Re: emacs' icon on X ?
>
> A Soare wrote:
> > Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
> >
> > On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?
> >

> It has been changed on X, but if your window manager is not capable of
> displaying nice icons, it will not look nice. I just tried with tmm, and
> it does a terrible conversion to monochrome.

I use on my laptop KDE with a NVIDIA card and nvidia driver and everything looks excellent. But for emacs' icon!

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:42 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

If one googles for emacs, one finds another EMACS ICON: its name is emacs !

http://www.thoroughlymorgan.com/emacs/emacs.html

(ce n'est qu'un chat errant).

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:54 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-04-18 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel], Jason Rumney

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

>> > Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
>>
> I use on my laptop KDE with a NVIDIA card and nvidia driver and
> everything looks excellent. But for emacs' icon!

You're probably referring to the Emacs icon packaged by KDE.  It's not
been updated to the Emacs 22 icon, but that's out of our control.

Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:

  ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
  and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.

(BTW, would someone like to do that?)

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19  1:52 ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-04-19  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare wrote:
>> Message du 19/04/07 à 01h09
>> De : "Vinicius Jose Latorre" <viniciusjl@ig.com.br>
>> A : alinsoar@voila.fr
>> Copie à : "Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>> Objet : Re: emacs' icon on X ?
>>
>> A Soare wrote:
>>
>>> Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
>>>
>>> On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?
>>>
>> BTW, could you send a screenshot  of Emacs icon on Mac?
>>

> Here is a beautiful one that I do not know whether it it used on mac or not:
>
> http://www2.ing.unipi.it/~d9615/homepage/mac/myemacsicon.png
>
> And here that one used on mac:
>
> http://www.apfelwiki.de/Main/Emacs?action=imgpopup&image=EmacsCarbonIcon.png
>
> And here one that I did not know about:
>
> http://fhornoy.linux62.org/Nuvola_apps_emacs.png

Ok, what do you think about the new Emacs icons?

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsIcons

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19  9:32 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > I use on my laptop KDE with a NVIDIA card and nvidia driver and
> > everything looks excellent. But for emacs' icon!
>
> You're probably referring to the Emacs icon packaged by KDE.  It's not
> been updated to the Emacs 22 icon, but that's out of our control.
>
> Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
>
>   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
>   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
>
> (BTW, would someone like to do that?)

I will send now.

What icon shell I propose for install?

Alin Soare.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19  9:36 ` Christian Faulhammer
From: Christian Faulhammer @ 2007-04-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>:
> > Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
> >   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
> >   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
> > (BTW, would someone like to do that?)
> I will send now.

 Gentoo uses the icon taken from Gnome.

> What icon shell I propose for install?

 And is that an official wish?  For a identical perception on all
platforms?

V-Li

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 11:01   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-04-19 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Faulhammer; +Cc: emacs-devel

Christian Faulhammer <v-li@gmx.de> writes:

> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>:
>> > Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
>> >   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
>> >   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
>> > (BTW, would someone like to do that?)
>> I will send now.
>
>  Gentoo uses the icon taken from Gnome.
>
>> What icon shell I propose for install?
>
>  And is that an official wish?  For a identical perception on all
> platforms?

Quite so.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 11:28 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-19 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Faulhammer; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>:
> > > Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
> > >   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
> > >   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
> > > (BTW, would someone like to do that?)
> > I will send now.
>
>  Gentoo uses the icon taken from Gnome.
>
> > What icon shell I propose for install?
>
>  And is that an official wish?  For a identical perception on all
> platforms?

I do not know...

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 13:23 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-19 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > I use on my laptop KDE with a NVIDIA card and nvidia driver and
> > everything looks excellent. But for emacs' icon!
>
> You're probably referring to the Emacs icon packaged by KDE.  It's not
> been updated to the Emacs 22 icon, but that's out of our control.
>
> Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
>
>   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
>   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
>
> (BTW, would someone like to do that?)

I said in this morning that I send today to KDE/GNOME, but I still would like to ask somebody else to talk with their developement team. It is better so, because I do not know if everybody wants that etc/images/icons be installed everywhere, etcetera.

Alin Soare.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 13:37 ` Christian Faulhammer
From: Christian Faulhammer @ 2007-04-19 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>:

> >   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
> >   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
> > (BTW, would someone like to do that?)
> I said in this morning that I send today to KDE/GNOME, but I still
> would like to ask somebody else to talk with their developement team.
> It is better so, because I do not know if everybody wants that
> etc/images/icons be installed everywhere, etcetera.

 Gentoo is aware of it, so no need to write to them.

@ 2007-04-19 15:30     ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2007-04-19 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Christian Faulhammer <v-li@gmx.de> writes:
>>  And is that an official wish?  For a identical perception on all
>> platforms?

> Quite so.

Just wondering:

    $ pnginfo /usr/share/emacs/22.0.98/etc/images/icons/emacs_48.png
    [...]
    Software (tEXt uncompressed): Macromedia Fireworks 8
    [...]

Somewhat surprising that "official" FSF icons were made with non-free
software. ;-)

Ulrich

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 18:46       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-04-19 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

>> Christian Faulhammer <v-li@gmx.de> writes:
>>>  And is that an official wish?  For a identical perception on all
>>> platforms?
>
>> Quite so.
>
> Just wondering:
>
>     $ pnginfo /usr/share/emacs/22.0.98/etc/images/icons/emacs_48.png
>     [...]
>     Software (tEXt uncompressed): Macromedia Fireworks 8
>     [...]
>
> Somewhat surprising that "official" FSF icons were made with non-free
> software. ;-)

GNU Emacs is developed by volunteers, not FSF employees.

On the other hand, there is no point giving Macromedia free
advertising, so I removed the metadata.  Thanks for pointing this out.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-20  8:48   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2007-04-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Christian Faulhammer <v-li@gmx.de> writes:

>> >   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
>> >   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
>> > (BTW, would someone like to do that?)
>> I said in this morning that I send today to KDE/GNOME, but I still
>> would like to ask somebody else to talk with their developement team.
>> It is better so, because I do not know if everybody wants that
>> etc/images/icons be installed everywhere, etcetera.
>
>  Gentoo is aware of it, so no need to write to them.

dito for Fedora

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-20 12:09 Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-04-20 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 > >> Quite so.
 > >
 > > Just wondering:
 > >
 > >     $ pnginfo /usr/share/emacs/22.0.98/etc/images/icons/emacs_48.png
 > >     [...]
 > >     Software (tEXt uncompressed): Macromedia Fireworks 8
 > >     [...]
 > >
 > > Somewhat surprising that "official" FSF icons were made with non-free
 > > software. ;-)
 >
 > GNU Emacs is developed by volunteers, not FSF employees.
 >
 > On the other hand, there is no point giving Macromedia free
 > advertising, so I removed the metadata.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Well, now the icons have a white background instead of a transparent
background
(as it was before).

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-20 12:26 ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-04-20 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:

> > > Just wondering:
> > >
> > >     $ pnginfo /usr/share/emacs/22.0.98/etc/images/icons/emacs_48.png
> > >     [...]
> > >     Software (tEXt uncompressed): Macromedia Fireworks 8
> > >     [...]
> > >
> > > Somewhat surprising that "official" FSF icons were made with non-free
> > > software. ;-)
> >
> > GNU Emacs is developed by volunteers, not FSF employees.
> >
> > On the other hand, there is no point giving Macromedia free
> > advertising, so I removed the metadata.  Thanks for pointing this out.
>

> Well, now the icons have a white background instead of a transparent
> background
> (as it was before).

Fixed.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2008-03-03  8:22         ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2008-03-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> $ pnginfo /usr/share/emacs/22.0.98/etc/images/icons/emacs_48.png
>> [...]
>> Software (tEXt uncompressed): Macromedia Fireworks 8
>> [...]

> On the other hand, there is no point giving Macromedia free
> advertising, so I removed the metadata.  Thanks for pointing this out.

New icon, similar issue (for the SVG file as well):

    $ pnginfo etc/images/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/emacs.png
    [...]
    Software (xTXt deflate compressed): Adobe ImageReady
    [...]

Ulrich