On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 04:13, Richard Stallman wrote: > Note that ECB works with CEDET which provides parsing of source > code. This is a framework that has lots of potential for vastly > improving Emacs' support for different programming languages. > > Could you tell me more about CEDET? As far as I know CEDET is the "new" package that encompasses semantic, speedbar, eieio and oher stuff. Previously these have been separate packages, of which only speedbar has been included into emacs distribution (?). > This could be a big step forward IF there is no horrible snag. Indeed. CEDET, together with ECB that uses the facilities of CEDET provides most of what's needed for a IDE. The nice thing about it that the ECB features automatically work for EVERY language that has a CEDET parser. Other, language specific stuff is provided by other languages. I think the most advanced example is Java, where ECB/CEDET provide the window layout with source code browsing features, and the special Java relates stuff is provided by JDE. This includes stuff like running a Java interpreter in the background to automatically query all classes on the classpath for their accessible methods etc. which allows for completion not only in the current soure buffer (or a buffer already parsed by CEDET) but on every callable class even if you only have it packed in a .jar file. In other words: ECB/CEDET together with JDE rocks. jtl