* splash screen display when Emacs is given arguments
@ 2002-05-22  6:54 Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2002-05-22  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Up until fairly recently, if you gave Emacs any command line arguments
(e.g. a filename, or -f function), Emacs wouldn't display the splash
screen on startup.

I'm not connected to the 'net right now, so I can't look at the CVS
logs, but from looking at the ChangeLog, I'm guessing it happened as a
side-effect of the following change:

2002-01-29  Pavel Janík  <Pavel@Janik.cz>

	* startup.el (normal-splash-screen, display-splash-screen):
	New functions (separated from command-line-1).
	(command-line-1): Use them.

Was this effect intentional?  If not, I would very much like to revert
to the previous behavior of Emacs 21.1 and Emacs 20.  When testing
ibuffer and other packages, I often do:

emacs -q --no-site-file -f ibuffer

and it's annoying to have to hit a key to get past the splash screen.