* rust-ts-mode can't refill or reindent comments
@ 2022-12-30  1:20 Brent Westbrook
From: Brent Westbrook @ 2022-12-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've been trying out rust-ts-mode, and this is the second issue I've run
into with prog-fill-reindent-defun. At first I could solve it by adding
advice to the function to defer to fill-paragraph:

(advice-add 'prog-fill-reindent-defun
	    :around #'(lambda (_ _) (fill-paragraph)))

but after rebuilding from the master branch today, fill-paragraph isn't
working either. There are no errors or messages, but both
prog-fill-reindent-defun and fill-paragraph fail to do anything on a
very long comment line when I try calling them interactively or from
bindings. I've also reproduced this with emacs -Q.

I think this is technically a bug, so I can file a bug report if
preferred, but I thought it would be okay to discuss it here.

As far as I can tell, rust-ts-mode is using c-ts-mode-comment-setup to
prepare to format comments, but prog-fill-reindent-defun seems to work
as expected on the Rust comment if I switch to c-ts-mode.

For a concrete example, this is the comment from a bevy example that I'm
testing on, with my fill-column set to 80:

impl WallBundle {
    // This "builder method" allows us to reuse logic across our wall entities, making our code easier to read and less prone to bugs when we change the logic
    fn new(location: WallLocation) -> WallBundle {

28f26b11a1e seems to be the origin of the issue because
prog-fill-reindent-defun works fine before that (again with -Q). I tried
commenting out all of the adaptive-regexp stuff in
c-ts-mode-comment-setup, closing the defun after line 656, and this
fixed my issue in rust-ts-mode, but I assume the rest of that code is
necessary for something and that the real issue is somewhere within it.

I can keep bisecting that section of the code if that would help, but I
thought someone more familiar with it might be able to identify the
issue from here. I'm guessing that it's also some kind of clash with
rust-ts-mode itself since that code works fine in c-ts-mode.

* Re: rust-ts-mode can't refill or reindent comments
@ 2022-12-30  8:37 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2022-12-30  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Westbrook; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Dec 29, 2022, at 5:20 PM, Brent Westbrook <bwestbr2@go.olemiss.edu> wrote:
>
> I've been trying out rust-ts-mode, and this is the second issue I've run
> into with prog-fill-reindent-defun. At first I could solve it by adding
> advice to the function to defer to fill-paragraph:
>
> (advice-add 'prog-fill-reindent-defun
> 	    :around #'(lambda (_ _) (fill-paragraph)))
>
> but after rebuilding from the master branch today, fill-paragraph isn't
> working either. There are no errors or messages, but both
> prog-fill-reindent-defun and fill-paragraph fail to do anything on a
> very long comment line when I try calling them interactively or from
> bindings. I've also reproduced this with emacs -Q.

Strangely enough, it works in my config despite having a bug, so I didn’t notice it. Anyway, I fixed it.

> I think this is technically a bug, so I can file a bug report if
> preferred, but I thought it would be okay to discuss it here.

I forgot who said it, but the idea is “if you’re not sure if it warrants a bug, file a bug report”.

> As far as I can tell, rust-ts-mode is using c-ts-mode-comment-setup to
> prepare to format comments, but prog-fill-reindent-defun seems to work
> as expected on the Rust comment if I switch to c-ts-mode.
>
> For a concrete example, this is the comment from a bevy example that I'm
> testing on, with my fill-column set to 80:
>
> impl WallBundle {
>    // This "builder method" allows us to reuse logic across our wall entities, making our code easier to read and less prone to bugs when we change the logic
>    fn new(location: WallLocation) -> WallBundle {
>
> 28f26b11a1e seems to be the origin of the issue because
> prog-fill-reindent-defun works fine before that (again with -Q). I tried
> commenting out all of the adaptive-regexp stuff in
> c-ts-mode-comment-setup, closing the defun after line 656, and this
> fixed my issue in rust-ts-mode, but I assume the rest of that code is
> necessary for something and that the real issue is somewhere within it.
>
> I can keep bisecting that section of the code if that would help, but I
> thought someone more familiar with it might be able to identify the
> issue from here. I'm guessing that it's also some kind of clash with
> rust-ts-mode itself since that code works fine in c-ts-mode.

Thanks for debugging this, it should work now!

Yuan