* ns-pop-up-frames and fullscreen
@ 2017-05-08 23:23 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-05-08 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When ns-pop-up-frames is set to nil files are supposed to open in the existing frame.

When Emacs.app is not in fullscreen, you select a file, double-click it (or any other open command) and this triggers Emacs.app to come to the foreground and display the file contents in the existing frame.

When Emacs.app is in fullscreen, opening the file that way does *not* change the display to put Emacs.app into the foreground, so you have to manually move to the Emacs.app fullscreen "space" to *then* see the file opening in that frame.

Is there a setting I am missing? Is this the expected behavior or a bug?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: ns-pop-up-frames and fullscreen
@ 2017-05-10 21:44 ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2017-05-10 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 08:23:41AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> When Emacs.app is in fullscreen, opening the file that way does
> *not* change the display to put Emacs.app into the foreground, so
> you have to manually move to the Emacs.app fullscreen "space" to
> *then* see the file opening in that frame.
>
> Is there a setting I am missing? Is this the expected behavior or a
> bug?

Sounds like a bug to me. It’s probably best to raise a bug report
about it.
--
Alan Third

* Re: ns-pop-up-frames and fullscreen
@ 2017-05-10 22:11   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-05-10 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On May 11, 2017, at 6:44, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 08:23:41AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> When Emacs.app is in fullscreen, opening the file that way does
>> *not* change the display to put Emacs.app into the foreground, so
>> you have to manually move to the Emacs.app fullscreen "space" to
>> *then* see the file opening in that frame.
>>
>> Is there a setting I am missing? Is this the expected behavior or a
>> bug?
>
> Sounds like a bug to me. It’s probably best to raise a bug report
> about it.

Can you reproduce that behavior ?

Jean-Christophe

* Re: ns-pop-up-frames and fullscreen
@ 2017-05-11  6:39     ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2017-05-11  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 07:11:42AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> > On May 11, 2017, at 6:44, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 08:23:41AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> >> When Emacs.app is in fullscreen, opening the file that way does
> >> *not* change the display to put Emacs.app into the foreground, so
> >> you have to manually move to the Emacs.app fullscreen "space" to
> >> *then* see the file opening in that frame.
> >>
> >> Is there a setting I am missing? Is this the expected behavior or a
> >> bug?
> >
> > Sounds like a bug to me. It’s probably best to raise a bug report
> > about it.
>
> Can you reproduce that behavior ?

No, it takes me to the fullscreen frame automatically here. There’s
quite a long pause before it does so, but it’s not excessive.

I’m testing by double clicking a .org file in finder.

(In testing this I’ve just discovered another bug when the frame is
undecorated. If you switch out of fullscreen the tab key stops working
and you need to click in the frame with the mouse to get it working
again.)
--
Alan Third