* Elisp 9P?
@ 2018-12-18 23:28 Eric Lindblad
From: Eric Lindblad @ 2018-12-18 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: Elisp 9P?
@ 2018-12-19  5:21 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-12-19  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lindblad, emacs-devel

Eric Lindblad wrote:
> "It makes no sense to put this feature into Emacs, which is the wrong place for
> it.  The right place for it is in the kernel (Linux or the Hurd), so that all
> the application programs will be able to use it."

This sounds reasonable. v9fs has been in the Linux kernel since 2.6.14 and that
should let GNU/Linux application programs use 9P without modification. So why
would we want to modify apps like Emacs to implement 9P separately? What am I
missing here?

* Re: Elisp 9P?
@ 2018-12-19 13:54   ` Eric Lindblad
From: Eric Lindblad @ 2018-12-19 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: Elisp 9P?
@ 2019-01-08 19:05 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2019-01-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Lindblad; +Cc: emacs-devel

An extremely late response, I'm sorry, but: I think you are asking the
wrong question here.  Instead of asking "would people be interested in the
protocol", ask "would people be interested in *what can be done because
Emacs supports* the protocol".

Beyond that, it might be a fun hack to add, but brings no real value; the
benefits come from the capabilities it brings.

(I also agree with 2017 RMS on the correct location for it.)

@ 2019-01-23 13:50   ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2019-01-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pittman; +Cc: Eric Lindblad, emacs-devel

Daniel Pittman <slippycheeze@google.com> writes:

> An extremely late response, I'm sorry, but: I think you are asking the
> wrong question here.  Instead of asking "would people be interested in
> the protocol", ask "would people be interested in *what can be done
> because Emacs supports* the protocol".
>
> Beyond that, it might be a fun hack to add, but brings no real value;
> the benefits come from the capabilities it brings.

This is the first I hear of 9P, so I'm sorry if I've misunderstood its
utility, but FWIW the first thing that comes to mind w.r.t. Emacs
support is making Tramp aware of 9mount and 9umount.

--
Basil