* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 24, Issue 78
       [not found] <E1CRRTE-0001Bq-Ks@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-10 20:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-10 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: emacs-diffs-request@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:35:20 -0500
>
> diff -c emacs/msdos/sed1.inp:1.19 emacs/msdos/sed1.inp:1.20
> *** emacs/msdos/sed1.inp:1.19	Mon Sep  1 15:45:46 2003
> --- emacs/msdos/sed1.inp	Tue Nov  9 08:18:05 2004
> ***************
> *** 52,57 ****
> --- 52,58 ----
>   /^[\f 	]*$/d
>   /^temacs:/s/prefix-args//
>   /^temacs:/s/stamp-oldxmenu//
> + s/echo.*buildobj.lst/dj&/
>   /^	#/d
>
>   # arch-tag: 246725c1-79de-4d03-a080-8f19329fa35e

I reverted this change.  (This file is for building Emacs with the old
version 1.x of DJGPP, where there's no djecho.exe.)

I appreciate the effort to do a thorough job for the changes you
introduce, but please in the future talk to me before changing any of
the DOS or DJGPP-specific configury stuff.  It is quite delicate, due
to the need to support several different MS platforms and due to the
general flakiness of the standard tools; and I have very little time
to work on Emacs these days, so I'm trying very hard to avoid any
unnecessary breakage.

TIA

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 24, Issue 78
@ 2004-11-10 20:44   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I reverted this change.  (This file is for building Emacs with the old
> version 1.x of DJGPP, where there's no djecho.exe.)
>
> I appreciate the effort to do a thorough job for the changes you
> introduce, but please in the future talk to me before changing any of
> the DOS or DJGPP-specific configury stuff.  It is quite delicate, due
> to the need to support several different MS platforms and due to the
> general flakiness of the standard tools; and I have very little time
> to work on Emacs these days, so I'm trying very hard to avoid any
> unnecessary breakage.

Will do.  But I looked at config.bat, and it didn't seem as there where
any way to build Emacs without djecho:

> set djgpp_ver=1
> If ErrorLevel 20 set djgpp_ver=2
> rm -f junk.c junk junk.exe
> rem DJECHO is used by the top-level Makefile
> Echo Checking whether 'djecho' is available...
> redir -o Nul -eo djecho -o junk.$$$ foo
> If Exist junk.$$$ Goto djechoOk
> Echo To build 'Emacs' you need the 'djecho.exe' program!
> Echo 'djecho.exe' is part of 'djdevNNN.zip' basic DJGPP development
> kit.
> Echo Versions of DJGPP before 2.02 called this program 'echo.exe'.
> Echo Either unpack 'djecho.exe' from the 'djdevNNN.zip' archive,
> Echo or, if you have 'echo.exe', copy it to 'djecho.exe'.
> Echo Then run CONFIG.BAT again with the same arguments you did now.
> Goto End

Then again, I may have lost my way in the gotos...

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 24, Issue 78
@ 2004-11-10 23:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-10 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:44:36 +0100
>
> But I looked at config.bat, and it didn't seem as there where any
> way to build Emacs without djecho:

Perhaps some of the recent changes screwed the v1.x build (I last
tried to build with v1.x several years ago, and I'm not even sure it
will build now), but adding more such problems is hardly the way to
treat that ;-)

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 24, Issue 78
@ 2004-11-11  7:25       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-11-11  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> But I looked at config.bat, and it didn't seem as there where any
>> way to build Emacs without djecho:
>
> Perhaps some of the recent changes screwed the v1.x build (I last
> tried to build with v1.x several years ago, and I'm not even sure it
> will build now), but adding more such problems is hardly the way to
> treat that ;-)

No, that is true.  But now there is another problem.  Either v1.x
doesn't build because of older changes, or it does not build because of
my changes.  The question is then should v1 be declared unsupported (in
which case I think config.bat should exit with an appropriate message)
or the code changed for v1 so Emacs does build?

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 24, Issue 78
@ 2004-11-11 19:56         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-11 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:25:56 +0100
>
> > Perhaps some of the recent changes screwed the v1.x build (I last
> > tried to build with v1.x several years ago, and I'm not even sure it
> > will build now), but adding more such problems is hardly the way to
> > treat that ;-)
>
> No, that is true.  But now there is another problem.  Either v1.x
> doesn't build because of older changes, or it does not build because of
> my changes.

It doesn't build because of older changes.  I added to my todo to fix
that one of these days, it simply shouldn't test for djecho for v1.x.
djecho is only required for building Leim, so we should not fail the
whole build if djecho is absent.

As for your change with buildobj.lst, that line in the Makefile will
work with the shell's built-in ECHO commad.  Thus no need to edit
Makefile.in at that point.

> The question is then should v1 be declared unsupported

It _is_ unsupported, since I didn't build with v1.x for a long time.

> (in which case I think config.bat should exit with an appropriate
> message)

I don't want to drop v1.x entirely as long as I don't know for sure
that it cannot be built.

> or the code changed for v1 so Emacs does build?

AFAIK, the v1 version should build.  I'm not aware of any problems
that would prevent that, except for the djecho gork.

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 24, Issue 78
@ 2004-11-12 18:19           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-12 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:56:59 +0200
> From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> It doesn't build because of older changes.  I added to my todo to fix
> that one of these days

Done.