* completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2008-04-18 22:01 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-18 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel

Got no reponse to this proposal from March. Rephrasing it:

How about having `completing-read' just call a `completing-read-function'
variable if non-nil?

This is the same thing that `read-file-name' does, with
`read-file-name-function'.

* Re: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2008-04-20  6:23 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-04-20  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, Emacs-Devel

It sounds useful to authors of Emacs extensions and might even be
useful directly for end users, letting them decide what
completing-read function they feel like using on any particular day.

@ 2008-04-20  7:32   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: Drew Adams, Emacs-Devel

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> It sounds useful to authors of Emacs extensions and might even be
> useful directly for end users, letting them decide what
> completing-read function they feel like using on any particular day.

I agree. Is there any reason not to add completing-read-function?

@ 2008-04-23 20:06     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman (gmail)', 'Mathias Dahl'
  Cc: 'Emacs-Devel'

> From: Lennart Borgman Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:33 AM
>
> Mathias Dahl wrote:
> > It sounds useful to authors of Emacs extensions and might even be
> > useful directly for end users, letting them decide what
> > completing-read function they feel like using on any particular day.
>
> I agree. Is there any reason not to add completing-read-function?
>
> > 2008/4/19, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>:
> >> Got no reponse to this proposal from March. Rephrasing it:
> >>
> >> How about having `completing-read' just call a
> >> `completing-read-function' variable if non-nil?
> >>
> >> This is the same thing that `read-file-name' does, with
> >> `read-file-name-function'.

No one has objected to the idea.
Could someone please implement this?

* RE: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2008-05-02 14:35       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman (gmail)', 'Mathias Dahl'
  Cc: 'Emacs-Devel'

> > > It sounds useful to authors of Emacs extensions and might even be
> > > useful directly for end users, letting them decide what
> > > completing-read function they feel like using on any
> > > particular day.
> >
> > I agree. Is there any reason not to add completing-read-function?
>
> No one has objected to the idea.
> Could someone please implement this?

Any news on this?

* Re: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2008-05-02 23:52         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-05-02 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > I agree. Is there any reason not to add completing-read-function?
>>
>> No one has objected to the idea.
>> Could someone please implement this?
>
> Any news on this?

Let's wait when Stefan moves completing-read to minibuffer.el and then
just add (if completing-read-function (funcall completing-read-function ;-)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* RE: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2008-07-15  5:27           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-07-15  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Juri Linkov'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juri Linkov Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 4:53 PM

> >> No one has objected to the idea.
> >> Could someone please implement this?
> >
> > Any news on this?
>
> Let's wait when Stefan moves completing-read to minibuffer.el and then
> just add (if completing-read-function (funcall completing-read-function ;-)

Any news?

* RE: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2009-09-17 22:54             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-09-17 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Juri Linkov'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Drew Adams Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:27 PM
>
> > From: Juri Linkov Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 4:53 PM

> > > Any news on this?
> >
> > Let's wait when Stefan moves completing-read to
> > minibuffer.el and then just add
> >(if completing-read-function (funcall completing-read-function ;-)
>
> Any news?

Any news?

* Re: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2009-09-18  2:58               ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-18  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'Juri Linkov', emacs-devel

> Any news?

Send a patch for it and we'll see,

* Re: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2009-09-18  4:07                 ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2009-09-18  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Juri Linkov, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Any news?
>
> Send a patch for it and we'll see,

I'd love to see this implemented.  I've already got 3 different
"<package>-completing-read-function" variables, one for each package I
maintain.

--
Michael Olson  ||  http://mwolson.org/
Projects: Emacs, Muse, ERC, EMMS

* RE: completing-read-function variable for completing-read
@ 2009-09-18  7:33                 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-09-18  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stefan Monnier'; +Cc: 'Juri Linkov', emacs-devel

> > > From: Drew Adams Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:27 PM

> > > Any news?
> >
> > Any news?
>
> Send a patch for it and we'll see

Sorry, someone else will have to patch the C code.

But the idea was that Stefan would move `completing-read' to Lisp
(`minibuffer.el'). ;-)

Then the patch for this will be trivial, as mentioned.