* predicate group-p to see if a group exists?
@ 2008-01-31 23:03 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-01-31 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel

There seems to be no predicate to test whether a particular group is
defined. Should there be one? (group-p 'foo)

For example, consider a library that could be used with different Emacs
versions. Suppose that a group `foo' exists in one Emacs version but not in
another (Buffer-menu is an example - doesn't exist in Emacs 20).

Suppose I want to define a new group `my-foo'. I want it to have group `foo'
as parent, if group `foo' exists'. If not, I want it to have whatever
parent(s) `foo' has in the Emacs versions where `foo' is defined.

For that, I could do this, if predicate `group-p' existed:

(defgroup my-foo nil "jjjj"
  :group (if (group-p 'foo) 'foo 'bar))

Yes, I could just do this:

(defgroup my-foo nil "jjjj"
  :group 'foo :group 'bar)

But in the later Emacs versions, `my-foo' will also have `bar' as parent,
not just `foo', which is a bit less tidy.

* Re: predicate group-p to see if a group exists?
@ 2008-02-01  6:40 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-02-01  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

> There seems to be no predicate to test whether a particular group is
> defined. Should there be one? (group-p 'foo)
>
> For example, consider a library that could be used with different Emacs
> versions. Suppose that a group `foo' exists in one Emacs version but not in
> another (Buffer-menu is an example - doesn't exist in Emacs 20).
>
> Suppose I want to define a new group `my-foo'. I want it to have group `foo'
> as parent, if group `foo' exists'. If not, I want it to have whatever
> parent(s) `foo' has in the Emacs versions where `foo' is defined.
>
> For that, I could do this, if predicate `group-p' existed:
>
> (defgroup my-foo nil "jjjj"
>   :group (if (group-p 'foo) 'foo 'bar))
>
> Yes, I could just do this:
>
> (defgroup my-foo nil "jjjj"
>   :group 'foo :group 'bar)
>
> But in the later Emacs versions, `my-foo' will also have `bar' as parent,
> not just `foo', which is a bit less tidy.

You could write

(defgroup my-foo nil "jjjj"
   :group (if (get 'foo 'custom-group) 'foo 'bar))

because it's unlikely that a custom group doesn't have any members
(except for the case when you're just specifying it - like my-foo).

* RE: predicate group-p to see if a group exists?
@ 2008-02-01  7:11   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-02-01  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'martin rudalics'; +Cc: 'Emacs-Devel'

> > There seems to be no predicate to test whether a particular group is
> > defined. Should there be one? (group-p 'foo)
>
> You could write
>
> (defgroup my-foo nil "jjjj"
>    :group (if (get 'foo 'custom-group) 'foo 'bar))
>
> because it's unlikely that a custom group doesn't have any members
> (except for the case when you're just specifying it - like my-foo).

Yes, but that wouldn't occur to most people. Using `defgroup', `defcustom',
and `defface' shouldn't require knowledge of how Customize is implemented.

Granted, most users of `defgroup', `defcustom', and `defface' will not need
to test whether a given group exists, but some will. I still have the
question whether we shouldn't have a function `group-p'.

* Re: predicate group-p to see if a group exists?
@ 2008-02-01 14:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'martin rudalics', 'Emacs-Devel'

> Granted, most users of `defgroup', `defcustom', and `defface' will not need
> to test whether a given group exists, but some will. I still have the
> question whether we shouldn't have a function `group-p'.

IIRC I've looked into it at some point.  The problem is that currently,
the data necessary to write custom-group-p is absent.

`customize-read-group' uses the following predicate for completion
purposes:

                     (lambda (symbol)
                       (or (and (get symbol 'custom-loads)
                                (not (get symbol 'custom-autoload)))
                           (get symbol 'custom-group)))

So we could use the above as the definition of custom-group-p, but IIRC
it's not 100% reliable/correct, and the lack of comments explaining why
we check (and (get symbol 'custom-loads) (not (get symbol 'custom-autoload)))
is also a significant problem.

* Re: predicate group-p to see if a group exists?
@ 2008-02-01 15:00       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-02-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier
  Cc: 'martin rudalics', Drew Adams, 'Emacs-Devel'

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Granted, most users of `defgroup', `defcustom', and `defface' will not need
>> to test whether a given group exists, but some will. I still have the
>> question whether we shouldn't have a function `group-p'.
>
> IIRC I've looked into it at some point.  The problem is that currently,
> the data necessary to write custom-group-p is absent.
>
> `customize-read-group' uses the following predicate for completion
> purposes:
>
>                      (lambda (symbol)
>                        (or (and (get symbol 'custom-loads)
>                                 (not (get symbol 'custom-autoload)))
>                            (get symbol 'custom-group)))
>
> So we could use the above as the definition of custom-group-p, but IIRC
> it's not 100% reliable/correct, and the lack of comments explaining why
> we check (and (get symbol 'custom-loads) (not (get symbol 'custom-autoload)))
> is also a significant problem.

But why not use this? It will at least be consisten?

* Re: predicate group-p to see if a group exists?
@ 2008-02-02  7:39     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-02-02  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

    Granted, most users of `defgroup', `defcustom', and `defface' will not need
    to test whether a given group exists, but some will. I still have the
    question whether we shouldn't have a function `group-p'.

Until we see a more than a handful of cases where testing
the existence of a custom group is the right thing to do,
let's not spend any time on this.

Every function added to Emacs has a real cost, which includes writing
it, maintaining it, documenting it, etc.  It requires a justification
stronger than "maybe someone will find it useful".  In this case,
justification is not present.