Nice idea. Let me try and tweak the patch to work in this way. I want to test it and see how it feels. Thanks, Gideon. On , Juri Linkov wrote: > > Anyway, please review it and if there is any interest in it merge it. > Thanks for proposing a useful feature. > I suggest to implement more simple and clean design that is > based on well-known Emacs features: > 1. On the next matched strings display numbers counting from 1. > You could try doing with tooltips that will look like in Conkeror, > (this might be too slow, but worth trying). > This is easy to do in `isearch-lazy-highlight-update' > 2. Add a new numeric argument `count' to `isearch-repeat-forward' (`Cs') > and `isearch-repeat-backward' (`Cr'). > This would allow easy navigation with eg `C-8 Cs' for the 8-th match > in forward direction. > 3. For backward matches we could display negative numbers, > and `Cs' will treat negative arguments like `C- C-8 Cs' > as positive counts for backward search. > Also `Cr' would treat positive arguments like `C-8 Cr' as positive > counts in backward direction. A negative arguments for `Cr' like > `C- C-8 Cr' would go to the 8-th match in forward direction, naturally.