* Right to Left Input Method
@ 2008-10-11 18:34 Ali Shirvani
From: Ali Shirvani @ 2008-10-11 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I'm new to emacs and I'm persian, I have some problem with editing farsi text
in emacs, one of them is right to left problem and other is seperated chars.

what should I do to write new input method?

Shirvani Ali

* Re: Right to Left Input Method
@ 2008-10-11 18:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-10-11 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Shirvani; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ali Shirvani <a.shirvani@ece.ut.ac.ir>
> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:04:46 +0330
>
> I'm new to emacs and I'm persian, I have some problem with editing farsi text
> in emacs, one of them is right to left problem and other is seperated chars.

Unfortunately, Emacs does not yet support right-to-left languages.

* RE: Right to Left Input Method
@ 2008-10-11 20:16   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-11 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', 'Ali Shirvani'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > I'm new to emacs and I'm persian, I have some problem with
> > editing farsi text in emacs, one of them is right to left
> > problem and other is seperated chars.
>
> Unfortunately, Emacs does not yet support right-to-left languages.

this sort.

I have no idea if this will help, but I just noticed it on Emacs Wiki:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/poor-mans-bidi.el.

I believe there is more information on the wiki about using Emacs for
bidirectional input (e.g. right-to-left), but they just changed the wiki search
engine and it seems to no longer work well - doesn't find anything additional
for "bidi" or "bidirectional" or "right-to-left". Wait a day or two, and perhaps
they'll restore the previous search engine, which worked pretty well.